A proficiency examination can satisfy a student’s foreign language graduation requirement.

The student must demonstrate proficiency at the fourth-semester intermediate level to test out of the requirement.

Proficiency examination application

Students who wish to test for French, German, or Spanish proficiency must take a CLEP test (see link below). For all other languages, please complete the Proficiency Examination Application. Only one opportunity to test out of the language requirement is allowed.

If you don’t earn a “C” or better on the proficiency exam, you must register for and complete the appropriate language courses to meet your graduation requirements.

Native speakers who completed secondary education (high school or college) in the language to be tested may not need to take an exam. Please contact your academic advisor or language proficiency coordinator for more information.

 CLEP® for Spanish, German, French